Heel Pain/Plantar Fasciitis Treatment in Villa Park and Des Plaines
If you suffer from chronic heel pain, you could have a condition known as plantar fasciitis, which is treatable by our podiatrist Dr. Darshna Patel DPM at Des Plaines Medical Associates in Villa Park and Des Plaines.
What Is Heel Pain/Plantar Fasciitis?
Plantar fasciitis is a condition in which the thick band of tissue running across your heel, known as the plantar fascia, becomes inflamed.
Causes of Plantar Fasciitis
Plantar fasciitis can be caused by:
- Overpronation, or rolling your feet when you walk
- Carrying excess weight or having fallen arches
- Walking or standing on hard surfaces for long periods
- Running, jogging, or doing other activities which cause foot stress
Signs and Symptoms of Plantar Fasciitis
Plantar fasciitis can cause these common signs and symptoms:
- Sharp, stabbing pain on your heel or the side of your foot
- Foot, heel, or arch pain that increases after you wake up
- Foot, heel, or arch pain that increases after exercising
- Foot, heel, or arch pain that increases when you stand up
Home Remedies for Plantar Fasciitis Pain
For mild plantar fasciitis pain, you can try:
- Stretching your arches daily
- Placing an ice pack on your heel daily
- Taking over-the-counter pain or anti-inflammatory medication
- Switching to more comfortable, supportive shoes and not going barefoot